While the biggest news in golf last week was how Tiger Woods fired his longtime caddie Steve Williams this weeks news spotlights Williams vindication. Williams is now full time on the bag for Adam Scott and showed he still know the Firestone Golf Course better than anyone and lead Scott to his 1st victory of the season. Whether it was the caddying or just Scotts time to shine it will forever be known as Williams win.
How did his former boss do? After not playing competitively for almost 3 months, recuperating from injuries, Tiger Woods found himself a respectable T37 finish. Speculation says that’s just his warm up round for the PGA Championship this week. Fans still determined that he will have his comeback after almost 2 years without a win. Then there are those who see other stars ready to rise like current world leader Luke Donald who is eyeing his first major win and Rory McIlroy who is hungry for another. From what I have gathered this major is the least talked about out of the 4 majors. It’s more likely to have a lesser known player find a victory than a top 10 player. However, it’s still a great stage with the best player’t in the world and it also happens to be the last big event of the golf season.
Quick Facts About 2011 PGA Championship:
- 93rd PGA Championship
- Located Atlanta Athletic Club: Johns Creek, Georgia
- Length 7,467 yards
- Field 145 players ( 136 tour pros, 20 club pros )
- Defending Champion: Martin Kaymer
- Dustin Johnson will forever be remembered for “bunkergate” at PGA Championship’s 18th hole at Whistling Straits
- Last time PGA Championship was held at the Atlanta Athletic Club was 2001 where David Toms beat Phil Mickelson.
- So far American players are 0 for 3 in majors this year